Professor, Department of Physics
Contact:(65) 6516 5187
Prof. Venkatesan has been a Physicist and manager for 17 years with Bell Labs and Bellcore and in the last 17 years has been with the Center for Superconductivity Research at University of Maryland, College Park.
He founded the Surface Center at Rutgers University where he was a Professor for about five years (85-90). Most recently he was leading an effort in Oxide Electronics at UMD. Since 2008 he is directing the NanoCore Research Center at the National University of Singapore. He pioneered the Pulsed Laser deposition process and was the first to elucidate the intricacies of the process to make this a reproducible laboratory technique for the growth of high quality multi-component oxide thin films. He is an ISI highly cited Physicist (>20,000 citations ranked 66) has over 450 papers and 27 patents in the area of oxides involving superconductors, magnetic and optical materials. He is a Fellow of the American Physical society, World Innovation Forum, winner of the Bellcore award of excellence and the UMD graduate Board award. He was a member of the Physics Policy Committee and is the founding member of the International Oxide Electronics Workshop.
In 1989 he founded Neocera, a company specializing in pulsed laser and electron deposition equipments and also commercialized the HTS SQUID based magnetic microscope MAGMA for semiconductor failure analysis used by virtually all leading semiconductor manufacturers in the world today. A technology based on the scanning microwave near field microscope for silicon low K metrology was commercialized and sold to Solid State Measurements (SSM). He has helped many of his students and post docs in starting companies and 8 of them have started small companies or are holding executive positions in entrepreneurial ventures. He has raised venture capital money over several rounds and has been on the advisory board of the New Market Venture fund of UMD Dingman Center, the UMD incubator and has been involved in promoting entrepreneurship among young researchers. He holds a PhD from the University of New York and Bell Laboratories, USA and an MSc and a BSc (Honors) from the Indian Institute of Technology in Kanpur, India.
Oxide Electronics, Ion-Beam Imaging and Fabrication
My research group is one of the leading ones in the field of Oxide based Thin films. A new field “Oxide Electronics” was christened to cover these areas of research. We are focussed on the following areas:
1. Novel magnetic phenomena in oxides (Diluted magnetic oxides and Multiferroics)
2. Wide band gap oxides and nitrides (ZnMgO, TiO2 and AlN)
3. Superhydrogenic Dopants in Oxides
In the area of diluted magnetic semiconducting oxides (DMSO), we have been one of the most active groups and have identified several host systems in which magnetic dopants such as Co lead to ferromagnetism with Curie temperatures in excess of room temperature. We have also been the first to point out the role of dopant clusters which could distort the data and the interpretation. In the area of wide bandgap Oxide materials, we were the first to show the complete phase diagram of an alloy of ZnO and MgO, showing a single phase hexagonal phase from 0-40% Mg concentration and a cubic phase from 60-100% Mg concentration with mixed phases in between. We were the first to identify magnetic effects due to cation vacancies in TiO2 and also transparent conductivity with Nb doping. By doping wide bandgap oxides with dopants having large Bohr radius owing to the large dielectric
constant of the material, one can have midgap states overlapping to form a band which may have unusual electronic or magnetic properties. This could lead to novel magnetic, superconducting materials.
- PREPARATION OF Y-BA-CU OXIDE SUPERCONDUCTOR THIN-FILMS USING PULSED LASER EVAPORATION FROM HIGH-TC BULK MATERIAL , DIJKKMP D, VENKATESAN T, WU XD, et al., APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 51 Issue: 8 Pages: 619-621 Published: AUG 24 1987 - Times Cited: 705
- DIRECT EVIDENCE FOR A HALF-METALLIC FERROMAGNET , Park JH, Vescovo E, Kim HJ, ..Venkatesan T, NATURE Volume: 392 Issue: 6678 Pages: 794-796 Published: APR 23 1998 - Times Cited: 628
- DIFFERENTIAL GAIN AND BISTABILITY USING A SODIUM-FILLED FABRY-PEROT-INTERFEROMETER, GIBBS HM, MCCALL SL, VENKATESAN TNC, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS Volume: 36 Pages: 1135-1138 (1976) - Times Cited: 577
- DEPENDENCE OF GIANT MAGNETORESISTANCE ON OXYGEN STOICHIOMETRY AND MAGNETIZATION IN POLYCRYSTALLINE LA0.67BA0.33MNOZ , JU HL, GOPALAKRISHNAN J, PENG JL, …VENKATESAN T, PHYSICAL REVIEW B Volume: 51 Issue: 9 Pages: 6143-6146 end_of_the_skype_highlightingMAR 1 1995 - Times Cited: 483
- GIANT MAGNETORESISTANCE IN LA1-XSRXMNOZ FILMS NEAR ROOM-TEMPERATURE , JU HL, KWON C, LI Q, VENKATESAN T, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 65 Issue: 16 Pages: 2108-2110 OCT 17 1994 - Times Cited: 401
- HIGH TEMPERATURE FERROMAGNETISM WITH A GIANT MAGNETIC MOMENT IN TRANSPARENT Co-doped SnO2-delta Ogale SB, Choudhary RJ, Buban JP,..Venkatesan T, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS Volume: 91 Issue: 7 Article Number: 077205 Published: AUG 15 2003 - Times Cited: 407
- OPTICAL BISTABILITY IN SEMICONDUCTORS, GIBBS HM, MCCALL SL, VENKATESAN TNC, et al., APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 35 Issue: 6 Pages: 451-453 (1979) -Times Cited: 345
- REALIZATION OF BAND GAP ABOVE 5.0 eV in metastable cubic-phase MgxZn1-xO alloy films, Choopun S, Vispute RD, Yang W,..Venkatesan T APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 80 Issue: 9 Pages: 1529-1531 MAR 4 2002 - Times Cited: 340
- INTERLAYER COUPLING EFFECT IN HIGH-TC SUPERCONDUCTORS PROBED BY YBA2CU3O7-X/PRBA2CU3O7-X SUPERLATTICES , LI Q, XI XX, WU XD, et al, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS Volume: 64 Issue: 25 Pages: 3086-3089 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting end_of_the_skype_highlightingPublished: JUN 18 1990 - Times Cited: 305
- MAGNETIC PROPERTIES AT SURFACE BOUNDARY OF A HALF-METALLIC FERROMAGNETIC La0.7Sr0.3MnO3 Park JH, Vescovo E, Kim HJ, Venkatesan T, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS Volume: 81 Issue: 9 Pages: 1953-1956 Published: AUG 31 1998 - Times Cited: 300
- HETEROEPITAXY OF ZnO ON GaN AND ITS IMPLICATIONS FOR FABRICATION OF HYBRID OPTOELECTRONIC DEVICES Vispute RD, Talyansky V, Choopun S,….Venkatesan T, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 73 Pages: 348-350, JUL 20 1998 - Times Cited 296
- GIANT MAGNETORESISTANCE IN EPITAXIAL ND0.7SR0.3MNO3-DELTA THIN-FILMS , XIONG GC, LI Q, JU HL,…VENKATESAN T, APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 66 Issue: 11 Pages: 1427-1429 Published: MAR 13 1995 - Times Cited: 294
- ON THE ORIGIN OF HIGH-TEMPERATURE FERROMAGNETISM IN THE LOW-TEMPERATURE-PROCESSED Mn-Zn-O system, Kundaliya DC, Ogale SB, Lofland SE, …Venkatesan T, NATURE MATERIALS Volume: 3 Issue: 10 Pages: 709-714 Published: OCT 2004 - Times Cited: 294
- IN A CLEAN HIGH-TC SUPERCONDUCTOR YOU DO NOT SEE THE GAP, KAMARAS K, HERR SL, PORTER CD, VENKATESAN T, PHYSICAL REVIEW LETTERS Volume: 64 Issue: 1 Pages: 84-87 JAN 1 1990 - Times Cited: 283
- FERROELECTRIC FIELD EFFECT TRANSISTOR BASED ON EPITAXIAL PEROVSKITE HETEROSTRUCTURE Author(s): Mathews S, Ramesh R, Venkatesan T, SCIENCE Volume: 276 Pages: 238-240 APR 11 1997 - Times Cited: 286
- OBSERVATION OF 2 DISTINCT COMPONENTS DURING PULSED LASER DEPOSITION OF HIGH-TC SUPERCONDUCTING FILMS , VENKATESAN T, WU XD, INAM A, et al.,APPLIED PHYSICS LETTERS Volume: 52 Issue: 14 Pages: 1193-1195 Published: APR 4 1988 - Times Cited: 277