Ariando has been an Associate Professor at the Department of Physics, Faculty of Science and NUSNNI-Nanocore, National University of Singapore since 2008. Before joining NUS he was a post-doctoral fellow in the Nanotechnology network in the Netherlands (NanoNed) and Mesa+ Research Institute. He obtained his PhD degree from the University of Twente, The Netherlands in 2005 and his B.Sc. in Physics with distinction (cum laude) from Bandung Institute of Technology, Indonesia. He has published over 50 articles and been awarded the Omicron Nanotechnology Medal from the Institute of Physics Singapore in 2010.
Strongly Correlated Electron Systems, Superconductivity, Oxide Interfaces
The primary goal of our research is to explore heterostructure, supperlattices, or/and quantum wells between various epitaxial films, both from a fundamental as well as device-oriented viewpoint, with current research activity has a particular emphasis on materials with unconventional electronic, optical, magnetic and thermal properties. Such unconventional properties can arise from multiple effects such as strong electronic correlations and/or multiband conductance character, anisotropy or low dimensionality, or ones mediated by interfaces or defect states.
- A. Annadi, Q. Zhang, X. Renshaw Wang, N. Tuzla, K. Gopinadhan, W.M. Lu, A. Roy Barman, Z.Q. Liu, A. Srivastava, S. Saha, Y.L. Zhao, S.W. Zheng, S. Dhar, E. Olsson, B. Gu, S. Yunoki, S. Maekawa, H. Hilgenkamp, T. Venkatesan, Ariando*, Anisotropic two dimensional electron gas at the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 (110) interface. Nature Communications 4, 1838 (2013).
- Z.Q. Liu, C.J. Li, W.M. Lu, X.H. Huang, Z. Huang, S.W. Zeng, X.P. Qiu, L.S. Huang, A. Annadi, J.S. Chen, J.M.D. Coey, T. Venkatesan, Ariando*, Origin of the two dimensional electron gas at LaAlO3/SrTiO3 interfaces- The role of oxygen vacancies and electronic reconstruction. Phys. Rev. X 3, 021010 (2013).
- S.W. Zeng, X. Wang, W.M. Lu, Z. Huang, M. Motapothula, Z.Q. Liu, Y.L. Zhao, A. Annadi, S. Dhar, H. Mao, W. Chen, T. Venkatesan, Ariando*, Metallic state in La-doped YBa2Cu3Oy thin films with n-type charge carriers. Phys. Rev. B 86, 045124 (2012)
- Ariando, X. Wang, G. Baskaran, Z.Q. Liu, J. Huijben, J.B. Yi, A. Annadi, A. Roy Barman, A. Rusydi, S. Dhar, Y.P. Feng, J. Ding, H. Hilgenkamp, T. Venkatesan, Electronic Phase Separation at the LaAlO3/SrTiO3 Interface, Nature Communication 2, 188 (2011).
- Z.Q. Liu, D.P. Leusink, Y.L. Zhao, X. Wang, X.H. Huang, W.M. Lu, A. Srivastava, A. Annadi, S.W. Zeng, K. Gopinadhan, S. Dhar, T. Venkatesan, Ariando, Metal-Insulator Transition in SrTiO3-x Thin Film Induced by Frozen-out Carriers, Phys. Rev. Lett. 107, 146802 (2011).
- Th. Ortlepp, Ariando, O. Mielke, K. Foo, C.J.M Verwijs, H. Rogalla, H.F. Uhlmann, and H. Hilgenkamp, Flip-flopping fractional flux quanta, Science 312, 1495 (2006).
- J.R. Kirtley, C.C. Tsuei, Ariando, C.J.M. Verwijs, S. Harkema, and H. Hilgenkamp, Angle-resolved phase-sensitive determination of the in-plane gap in YBaCuO7, Nature Physics 2, 190 (2006).
- Ariando, D. Darminto, H.J.H. Smilde, V. Leca, D.H.A. Blank, H. Rogalla, and H. Hilgenkamp, Phase-sensitive order-parameter symmetry test experiments utilizing Nd2-xCexCuO4-y / Nb zigzag junctions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 94, 179902 (2005).
- H. Hilgenkamp, Ariando, H.J.H. Smilde, D.H.A. Blank, G. Rijnders, H. Rogalla, J.R. Kirtley, and C.C. Tsuei, Ordering and manipulation of the magnetic moments in large-scale superconducting π-loop arrays, Nature 422, 50 (2003).